Monday, August 13, 2012

Amen | Missouri Made Momma

I went to church yesterday morning.  That not might seem like a very big deal but, it's been a few years since I have gone.  Not because I hate going, just because I haven't been putting God & Jesus first and finding the time to go.  My life is pretty busy and I can get a little sidetracked if I let myself.

I would have never thought about a service like this one. The pastor started talking about the fact that he was finishing up a series on the Lord's Prayer.  Ok, I thought...I can always use some understanding on why we say what we say when we pray the Lord's Prayer.  Well, since this was the last service in the series it was all about the finish.  The "Amen."

I was taken aback for a second.  Why do we need a service strictly about "Amen?"  Then, when he started talking about it, first during the children's part of service, something clicked.  He asked the children "what does Amen mean?"  Ok, having said this word all my life, I had to stop and think.  What DOES Amen mean?  One of the little kids answered, "it means Thank you."  He replied with " that's part of it."

So at this point I was seriously thinking about the meaning of Amen.  What did it mean?  How many of us really, truly, know what Amen means.  Isn't it just the way to finish up when we are talking to God?  Isn't it just a standard finish that we have been taught to say?

When he said what it meant it was like a light bulb went off.  Ok, so right about now you are probably thinking...."How could she NOT know what Amen means?"  Well, I have never thought about the meaning until he started talking about it and until I heard it.  Our pastor said that Amen means "It shall be done."  Everything made sense at that point.  The importance of Amen finally clicked.

When we are saying Amen we are saying that we put our faith in God to answer our prayers.  To me, this is probably the most important part of a prayer.  We can pray all we want but, do we really have faith that God will answer them?

It was a very simple meaning but, VERY important at the same time.  

So, do you say Amen and just say it to be saying it or do you truly believe in the meaning and that God will answer your prayers?  I know that I have been thinking about that since yesterday and I have to say that at first I was just saying it to be saying it.  It's part of a prayer, right?  Now, I say it because I TRULY have faith that when I pray, God will hear me and answer my prayer.  Maybe not in the time frame I want but, IT SHALL BE DONE!

2 comments:

  1. Oh your blog was so easy to follow and understand. Very nice to hear about the "little things" sometimes. It makes you think and that is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, sometimes the little things are the best things. :)

      Delete