Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Oatmeal Squares


Extremely Yummy!

I was looking for something that I could give my kids for breakfast to change up the boring, old, oatmeal routine.  I HATE all the sugary cereals that you find in every grocery store and ONLY let my kids have then every once in a while but, oatmeal was getting kinda boring for them (and me) so I found a new way to make it.

These are great.  They have no flour or refined sugar and all the sweetener is from  all natural sources.  You can either eat them like a muffin or you can heat them up and pour a little milk over them.  Oh, here's the part I love...they can be frozen so you can make a TON and not have to worry about making them all the time.
So...about that recipe.  Well, here it is....Just a little change to the recipe that I made and it was that I used honey instead of Stevia.
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
  • 5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 2 3/4 cups milk (I used 1%)
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips, etc
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and honey together in a bowl.
  3. Add in oats, salt, baking powder, flax and cinnamon and mix well with wet ingredients.
  4. Finally pour in milk and combine.
  5. Spray a 12 and 6 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
    Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups.
  6. If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.
  7. Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags.
(Recipe is from Sugar-Free Mom)

If you freeze them, thaw them in the fridge overnight and reheat them for 45 seconds in the microwave.  They are absolutly amazing and you can change the flavor by the different toppings or add ins.

WARNING---------These are extremely addictive.

|Bethany|

No comments:

Post a Comment