Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The 5 Love Languages of Children | Book Review

Image Credit: Books A Million


Kids are a mystery.  You never know what is going through their heads and what they are going to do next.  The one thing that still evades most parents is how are children showing you they love you especially if they don’t say “I love you” very much.  Well, that’s where The 5 Love Languages of Children comes in.

Gary Chapman, PhD (author of The 5 Love Languages) teams up with Ross Campbell, MD to bring you a new book on the languages of love your children speak and how to speak those languages back to them.  It’s time for parents to become multilingual.

Things you will learn in this book:

What the 5 different languages are and  a description of each.
How to identify which language is your child’s primary.
How to effectively discipline your child without affecting their love tank.
Using the different languages as applied to learning and anger.
How to apply the strategies in a marriage or single parent family.

This book should be given out to EVERY parent when they have a new baby.  Granted, according to the authors, it may not necessarily apply to them until they are around the age of 5 but, it’s worth reading since it will help you become a better parent and better understand why your children are acting a certain way.

Chapman and Campbell explain everything in a way that the reader has no problem understanding and can relate to.  It is very easy to implement all of the strategies included in this book.  They even include a list at the end of the 5 love language chapters to give you ideas of how to use that language to speak to your child.

While I was reading this book I came to realize what the language of one of my children was but, since my other one is under the age of 5, it’s still undecided.  According to the book children under the age of 5 are still using all of the languages to show love without having a primary one.

I know that it has made a difference in my parenting just in the short time I have been using these methods. I can speak a language that shows my child that I love him using the language that means the most to him.  I have even realized what MY love language is and how to make sure I use my language combined with my children’s.

If you want to find out your Love Language or your children’s there is a short test you can take over at the 5 Love Language website.  Have fun….I guarantee it will change your parenting and possibly your life.  I know it has for me.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review.  







No comments:

Post a Comment