Friday, January 4, 2013

God Gave Us Christmas | Book Review

Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year and I want to make it a magical time for my children.  I also want to keep the true meaning of Christmas alive and show my kids that this time of year isn't all about receiving presents...it's so much more.  Christmas is the celebration of God's only son's birthday.

God Gave Us Christmas by Lisa Tawn Bergren, with art from David Hohn, is a wonderful explanation of a topic that kids wonder about during this time of year.  Where did Christmas come from?

Little Cub is getting ready for Christmas with his Mama and wonders "Who 'vented Christmas?"  When Mama informs Little Cub that God is the one that invented Christmas, not Santa, Little Cub wants to set out on a journey to find God.

Little Cub doesn't exactly find God but, he finds that God gives us everything.  This journey leads them across their frozen land and shows Little Cub that God gives us everything.  Including the reason for Christmas, Jesus!

Along the way, Mama shows Little Cub that God gives us all...from the lights dancing in the sky, to frozen icebergs and, of course, the King of Kings.  Jesus is the true reason for Christmas and in today's society we have lost the true meaning of Christmas.

This book helps to show our children what we are celebrating and why.  We get so caught up in buying presents and rushing around that our children are getting the wrong message.  This book helps spread the real message of God's love.  He loves us so much that He sent Jesus to Earth and gave us Christmas to celebrate his birth.

This book is beautifully written with amazing illustrations and I plan on making this a part of my Christmas tradition.  I want my kids to know what Christmas is all about.  It's about the only present that matters...Jesus!!!

"I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this  review."




No comments:

Post a Comment