Friday, January 18, 2013

Praying Circles Around Your Children | Book Review

Praying isn't always easy but, the ones we should be praying for the most are our children.  There is no right or wrong way to pray but, when it comes to our kids we want so much for them we can feel like we are doing it wrong.  In comes Praying Circles Around Your Children by Mark Batterson.  He shows us an easy way to make sure we get everything out of our prayer time regarding our kids.

Physically circling something in prayer is a wonderful way to put your complete intent into it.  But, you can achieve that without "physically" circling someone. According to Batterson,  "Drawing prayer circles is a metaphor that simply means 'to pray without ceasing '"  So...no need to walk in circles around your children unless you feel the need.

In this book Batterson lists the 5 Circles of prayer that you can and will be making for your kids.  Along with what they are and why you use each one.

  1. Circling the Promises of God
  2. Making Prayer Lists
  3. Creating Prayer Mantras
  4. Forming Prayer Circles
  5. Praying through the Bible
He explains what each circle is and how they become habits when praying.  You don't have to do all 5 of them all the time but, you can combine the circles that you need for a specific purpose, child, or issue.  Each time you pray you might need 1 circle or you might need them all.  

These are just suggestions and methods of how you can pray and Batterson encourages you to find the ones that work for you and to also figure out others that God might be pointing you towards.  

I know that this has helped me with praying for my children.  The habits (yes, they will become habits if you want) have helped me feel more at ease when I pray for my children.  I was always worried about whether I was doing it right.  I don't have those worries anymore!  I just continue to pray circles around my children.  

*I was given a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review.*


No comments:

Post a Comment